My insurance company (PC) better come through!!!!
Hello everyone. Today I had an eye opening experience. Does an insurance company really have THIS much control over my life? I never thought of it this way. I chose PC without even thinking. I hold the insurance benefits for Keith and I and when I was shopping for insurance, last December (2004), I wasn't even thinking "CHECK THE FERTILITY BENEFITS". I was checking price tag. PC was $78, every two weeks for Keith and I............."The other one" was over $100. I mean, what would you pick? Hmm......All I have to say is that right at this very minute, I am waiting (with baited breath) for the phone NOT to ring (I will explain).
What sparked this thought? I was at my fertility clinic for 2 hrs. (WORK hours, might I add) today. I learned the ins and outs of injectible drugs. I learned that there are virtually NO side effects to injectibles (compared to ***********GULP***********, Clomid) and that injectibles do not increase your chance of having muliple births (but my PCOS sure does). I learned that it costs $150 per day for infertility injectible meds and you better be SURE that your insurance covers at least SOME of this b/c that equals out to be around $700 per CYCLE. Yowsers! You know what else I learned? PC (my insurace carrier) sucks! Everyone at the office was so surprised that PC approved 12 visits with my fertility doc. They said that this usually never happens. And (more importantly), PC usually always gives the office a hard time when they try to order injectibles for a patient. I swear, if they don't give me the OK, I am going to march down to Monroe Ave. and give them something they'll ALWAYS remember :)
Let's go back a bit. I am on day 5 of my cycle right now. I went to see Dr. M after my injectibles class and he did an ultrasound. He laughed b/c he saw HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of eggs but none of them ever wanted to "leave their home". He has the cutest accent so when he said that, I just cracked up. He said my bloodwork (that I had yesterday) came back great and everything looked good, ultrasound-wise, so he wanted to start me on Clomid (dammit, I thought I got rid of good old 'Clo) and on Sunday I would start injections. Great, right? If everything goes Ok this cycle, I will know definitely if I am prego by Christmastime. But Dr. M STRESSED, I will probably never get prego without the injectibles b/c I can make the eggs but "they don't want to leave their home" (Hee Hee).
Ok......enter PC. I prayed in my car today on the way home from work and then I stopped praying to really evaluate why I was praying (Hmm......I am confusing, arent' I?). I was praying that PC, an insurance company that I have been paying a premium on ALL darn year, would pay for my drugs so that I would have a chance to get pregnant. Does this make sense to withold a drug that is the only way a women will get ever get preganant? Now, when I called the mail order pharmacy to order my drugs (which will be overnighted to my house in dry ice).......they said that PC had not yet approved my case and that they would call me before tomorrow ONLY if there was a problem. So....................it is 7pm, no call yet. And there better not be!!!!! PC or BUST, baby!!!!!
p.s. I am switching my insurance carrier to "The other company" after January 1st but shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell PC until they approve this cycle of injectibles ;)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home